On 6/24/22 09:28, Saku Ytti via juniper-nsp wrote:

In many ways filter based decapsulation is actually preferable to
interface, so I have no large qualms here. What I'd actually want is
egress filter decap, instead of ingress. So I could point my GRE
tunnels to random addresses at customer network, and have in my edge
filters static decap statement which is never updated. Like 'from
scurbber/32 to anywhere, protocol gre, decap'. This way my scrubber
would launch GRE tunnels to any address at customer site, routing
would follow best BGP path to egress and just at the last moment,
packet would get decapped.

After failing to get Netscout to natively support IS-IS, we came up with a rather convoluted - but elegant - way to transport on-ramp/off-ramp traffic into and out of our scrubbers.

Basically, we use lt-* (logical tunnel) interfaces that sit both in the global table and a VRF. We loop them to each other, and use IS-IS + BGP + LDP to tunnel traffic natively using MPLS-based LSP's signaled by LDP (as opposed to GRE), so that traffic an always follow the best IS-IS + iBGP path, without the hassle of needing to run GRE between routers and scrubbers.

The scrubbers inject the /32 or /128 route that needs protection, and the routers responsible for this "Frankenstein" setup do the rest. I'm quite proud of the setup, actually :-).

Essentially, it's equivalent to getting the Netscout TMS to be part of your IS-IS and MPLS/LDP domain, even though it supports neither.

Mark.