[Note that I've already inquired internally about the original problem.  I
don't recall the answer from top of head and don't have time for code
spelunking...]

As to the point below, we get to these headaches one commit at a time.  Junos
is long-lived enough that VRFs started as a hack on a system that didn't have
them.  A completely new system written from scratch likely would just assume
arbitrary tables that can be spaghetti configured into whatever you want to do
with them.

When I was first studying the Juniper implementation of L3VPN VRFs, some of the
rib-group constructs didn’t make a lot of sense to me.  It was rather clearer
after discovering that when the features were released in the 9.x (?) releases
that all of the niceties we have today used to be completely done at a manual
level with those same rib-groups. __

While I have a lot of sympathy for Saku's pragmatism, I prefer to file off the
ugly edges of old justifications when I can... but it's done one commit at a
time.

-- Jeff

On 6/5/23, 3:47 AM, "juniper-nsp on behalf of Saku Ytti via juniper-nsp"
<juniper-nsp-boun...@puck.nether.net
<mailto:juniper-nsp-boun...@puck.nether.net> on behalf of
juniper-nsp@puck.nether.net <mailto:juniper-nsp@puck.nether.net>> wrote:
I consider it a design error that NOS conceptually has two types of
instances, main instance and VRF instance. This distinction makes it
more expensive to write and maintain the NOS and it makes it more
fragile.

Juniper Business Use Only