On 7/2/23 15:19, Saku Ytti wrote:

Right as is MX304.

I don't think this is 'my definition', everything was centralised
originally, until Cisco7500 came out, which then had distributed
forwarding capabilities.

Now does centralisation truly mean BOM benefit to vendors? Probably
not, but it may allow to address one lower margin market which as
lower per-port performance needs, without cannibilising larger margin
market.

Technically, do we not think that an oversubscribed Juniper box with a single Trio 6 chip with no fabric is feasible? And is it not being built because Juniper don't want to cannibalize their other distributed compact boxes?

The MX204, for example, is a single Trio 3 chip that is oversubscribed by an extra 240Gbps. So we know they can do it. The issue with the MX204 is that most customers will run out of ports before they run out of bandwidth.

I don't think it's that vendors using Broadcom to oversubscribe a high-capacity chip is the issue. It's that other vendors with in-house silicon won't do the same with their own silicon.

Mark.