On 10/25/23 16:00, Gert Doering wrote:

What is "high-touch edge" for you?

Most things we could come up with do work, with the notable exception
of MAC accounting (or inclusion of MAC addresses in sflow/ipfix) - but
here the ASR9000 is one of the few platforms on the market that can
actually do it.  So more of a chip limitation.

We don't do extremely demanding QoS things, but basic shaping and policing
works fine on the new J2c+ boxes.  So not sure where the limits are.

Of course it's merchant silicon boxes, but the J2c chips have become
really impressive.

Good to hear.

The main things that have typically been an issue for us on Broadcom-based boxes have been:

    - Egress policing (trTCM).
    - uRPF (IPv4/IPv6).
    - Ingress/Egress marking (Policy Map a la Junos).
    - EVC + VLAN Tag Rewrite (push, pop, swap).
    - IPv4/IPv6 interface ACL's (should be pretty doable now).
    - LDPv6 (not chip related, just code).

Has your experience on Arista been that all those work?

We have a ton of Arista hardware, but we just use it purely for Layer 2 switching.

Mark.