Confusing, yes! As chiel wrote, these are just ordering SKU. Neither should be
used for new orders. Instead “MX204-HWBASE-AC-FS” should be used, but
“MX204-HW-BASE” is still allowed for legacy ordering. These are both priced the
same, and basically provide exact same HW parts.

The “difference” is that either SKU above does not contain a [Flex] Feature
License. Some Feature License, Adv or Prem, at some term (years or perpetual)
must now be included if you want any MX to do any L3 or above features. So
basically without some Feature License tied the HW SN via some Flex Feature
License, it is a good boat anchor!

For information on Flex Licenses go here -
https://www.juniper.net/documentation/us/en/software/license/juniper-licensing-user-guide/topics/concept/licenses-for-juniper-software.html

This change in how MX and other Juniper products has been driven by Stock
Analysist and other vendors. “I don’t make the news, I just report it”

For any questions, reach out to either your Juniper Partner or Juniper Account
team.

FYI Only. Regards, Rich

Richard McGovern
Sr Sales Engineer, Juniper Networks
978-618-3342

I’d rather be lucky than good, as I know I am not good
I don’t make the news, I just report it

Juniper Business Use Only

On 1/10/24, 10:43 AM, "Tom Beecher" <beec...@beecher.cc> wrote:

> Is there a difference between "MX204" and "MX204-HW-BASE"?

Strictly speaking they are just different SKUs, not different models.

MX204 : Chassis + Fan trays + PEMs
MX204-HW-BASE : Base MX204 chassis PLUS perpetual Junos software license

AFAIK , code that has enforcement is limited to specific scaling or more
advanced features, but outside of that, base things just work. Don't take
that as gospel though.