Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a good email app to use on my phone, but I have to admit
that I know very little about these kind of things. I've been reading some
sections of the FAQ and information on other websites, but in the end I
figured it would probably be best to just ask some questions here so I
could get some more specific answers.

So, like I said, I'm looking for a good email app. I don't actually want to
do all that much with it, since I prefer handling my email on my laptop,
but I'd like to be able to use my phone to efficiently check if I have new
mail. Here are some specific things that I'm looking for in an email app:
- I'd like a lightweight app (low in usage of system resources (battery,
RAM, etc.))
- I'd like to see new mail automatically when I look at the app (I don't
want to manually have to open/refresh it first)
- I'd like to have a notification badge on the app icon displaying the
number of *unread* emails in my inbox (many apps seem to display the number
of new emails instead of the number of unread emails. I already figured out
that K9 has a widget that does exactly what I want here, which is great!)
- I'd prefer not to save any email files to my phone (except for
attachments I choose to download; but I'd like to just look at my mail as
if I logged into the email website online)

Those are the most important things I'd like to be able to do. I have a
hotmail account, so I simply used the standard Outlook-app at first because
it does all these things just fine, but it's also huge in file size, so
that's why I decided to look for a different app. I think/suspect K9 can do
all this as well, but I can't really figure out how to configure everything
properly. Also, I currently have three different email apps installed on my
phone (K9 mail, MyMail and MailDroid) so I can compare them. So far, I
think I prefer K9 mail, but it does seem to have one "problem" compared to
the other two: In any give time period, K9 takes up about 3% of my battery
usage, while the other two mail apps use less than 1%, even if all three
apps are just running in the background (most battery usage goes to my
screen, my browser and several system apps).

Now 3% still isn't a lot of course, but if those other apps use even less,
than why doesn't K9 do that as well? I suspect it may have something to do
with my pushing/polling settings. Currently, I've configured the app to use
both pushing and polling. I guess this is useless, but I don't really know
what's better. I'd like to both use as few system resources as possible as
well as receive new emails automatically (or at least without much delay).
I'm not sure I understand everything about pushing and polling, so I'd like
some advice on this. I use only one email account and I don't receive too
many emails (I'd say max. 10 a day), but I do have an inbox that goes back
to 2004 and that contains thousands of old mails.

Any help, tips, advice, etc. is/are appreciated! Thanks in advance! :)