Thanks a lot Sean! That was very helpful! I'm pretty sure I now understand
everything I wanted to understand about this.

I agree with what you said about not liking the thought of Google being
able to see all your push notifications. That's one of the reasons why I
like using K-9.

I'm now trying the battery-efficient settings you suggested for a couple of
days to see how I like that. Thanks again :)