From: "Walter McKenzie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sun, 5 May 2002 12:24:25 -0400
Subject: [Innovative-Teaching] Banking Services <May 5, 2002>

The Innovative Teaching Newsletter
"Those who can.....teach!"

Banking Services
Volume 4, Issue 31 - May 5, 2002

presented by
Walter McKenzie - Surfaquarium Consulting
Innovative staff development:
Technology Applications, Multiple Intelligences,
Curriculum Integration and Creative Education.
Let's see what we can do for your staff!

Over on the Innovative Teachers' Chat
<<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Innovative-Teachers/>> a long time member
Peachy asked recently about good Banking links to use with her students. I
started digging and I was so pleased with what I was finding I thought this
would make a great newsletter topic! I hope you'll find these links as
helpful as I did.

I come away from researching this topic impressed that not all corporate
websites are overly formatted and miss the personal touch. Many of these
pages are not only slick, they are warm, fun and inviting for children, too.
And if you get tired of all the content, try Banking Games for Kids at
<http://firstsouthwestern.com/games.asp>. It's mindless fun on a money theme!

Thanks to Jerry for adding in his recommendations to make for a solid list
of top sites! Thanks for the topic idea Peachy!

About Checking - <http://www.aboutchecking.com/>
Here's a very nicely formatted site that covers everything from the basic
"how tos" of checking to more advanced topics of selecting a compatible
financial institution, selecting a checking account that is best for you,
and much, much more. The section on identity theft is especially timely and
worthwhile in educating students.

Kids & Money -
<http://www.familyeducation.com/subchannel/0,2794,65-189,00.html>
The Learning Network presents a great set of links and activities for
teaching kids about banking and finance, including Understanding Money,
Allowances and Chores and School-Related Finances. There's also a set of
online calculators that help students to figure out budgets, savings and
interest rates. This site is worth your time sifting through.

Banking on our Future - <http://www.bankingonourfuture.org/hope/default.htm>
Covering sections on 4th and 5th grade, middle school and high school,
Banking on our Future covers savings, checking, budgeting, credit and
investing. The site is completely Flash-based, so there's lots of
opportunity for interaction and teacher support. I especially liked the
inclusion of banking vocabulary and the assessment activities.

Checking Account Math - <http://www.burbank.com/checking.shtml>
Straight from Burbank.com, this site offers a dozen activities for learning
about checking accounts and printable signature cards, deposit slips, checks
and transaction registers. Fore other similar lessons and activities check
out Teacher Created Materials at
<http://www.teachercreated.com/lessons/010810im.html>, Harcourt at
<http://www.harcourtschool.com/teacher_resources/math/grade_05/g5_checking.html>
and Life Skills for Vocational Success at
<http://www.workshopsinc.com/manual/Ch4L3.html>.

Dollar Dragon - <http://www.banksite.com/kidscorner/homepage.htm>
BankSite presents this animated (Flash-based) dragon who helps
elementary-aged children learn about checking, savings, bonds, budgets and
ATMs. While the text is extensive at times, the information is nicely
detailed and the animations may keep your students interested. Not for nonreaders.

It All Adds Up - <http://www.italladdsup.org/>
It All Adds Up is another nicely designed site that focuses directly at high
schoolers to help them understand responsible personal finance management
skills and the proper care and use of credit. There are five modules on
getting and using a credit card, buying a car, budgeting, saving and
investing and going to college. Activities are linked to NCTM standards and
the teacher support is first rate.

Jump Start Coalition - <http://www.jumpstartcoalition.org/>
The Jump Start Coalition is an organization dedicated to teaching students
money management, saving and investing and proper use of credit. I
especially like the Reality Check activity, where students discover how much
their "dream life" is going to cost them. There's also a downloadable .pdf
file entitled Money Math: Lessons for Life which targets middle schoolers.

Kids Bank - <http://www.kidsbank.com/index_2.asp>
Sovereign Bank presents this elementary-level tutorial on money, savings and
interest, checking and electronic funds transfer. The games are fun and
educational and the calculators help kids understand how to save to become a
millionaire, what to do to make sure you can afford a car and how pennies
can add up to spending cash for the holidays.

Moneyopolis - <http://www.moneyopolis.com/>
Based on the NCTM standards, Moneyopolis Ernst & Young present this
interactive game for middle schoolers that integrates math and social
studies into the study of banking. You must register to play (it's free).
Students start with $600 and try to make it grow to $1,000 by the end of the
game. Along the way getting a job, banking, shopping and paying taxes all
come into play.

Practical Money Skills for Life -
<http://www.practicalmoneyskills.com/index.php>
Visa offers this online curriculum to help students learn to manage their
money responsibly. Topics include money responsibility, allowance, behavior
and chores, banking services, saving and investing, debt and identity theft.
The banking tutor provides lots of instructional substance and the games
will be a big hit with kids.

Unofficial Student Manual - <http://www.student-manual.com/>
Ideal for high school students getting ready for college, and even for
college freshmen, here's a site that covers everything from studying and
social skills to living essentials and budgeting. It is full of succinct
tutorials and great conversation starters for young adults getting ready to
take care of themselves financially and otherwise.

Young Investors - <http://www.younginvestor.com/flash/>
Liberty Financial offers this Flash-based look at investing for elementary
and middle school students. There are lots of interactive activities and
opportunities for discussion, as well as links for parents. What I don't see
is a lot of teacher support. That and the fact that they tout their Stein
Roe young investor fund means that you'll want to use this site carefully
with students.

Click here for the HTML version: http://surfaquarium.com/newsletter/bank.htm

Be sure to visit the Innovative Teaching Back Issues at
http://surfaquarium.com/news.htm

Next Week's Topic: Summer Links

Please send in URL's of high quality sites which may be of interest to our
readers to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Also, I'm always looking for new topic
ideas and input!

Find More Great Resources at the Innovative Teaching Website:
http://surfaquarium.com/it.htm.

Post Message - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List Owner     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This newsletter may be forwarded or copied provided the header and signature
information remain intact. Show a colleague what you have found in
Innovative Teaching!
(c)2002 Walter McKenzie