From: "Virtual Teacher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 19:29:26 +1200
Subject: Virtual Teacher - GRACIOUSNESS

Virtual Teacher Newsletter  No. 54  July 27th 2002 - GRACIOUSNESS
THE FREE ONLINE FORTNIGHTLY IT TEACHERS' NEWSLETTER
Contact: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Website: http://www.virtualteacher.com.au
Newsletter Archives can be found at:-
http://www.virtualteacher.com.au/archives.html
CONTENTS
1. Welcome
2. Mind Candy
3. WWWinfo
4. New Printables -  Text Types
5. Technical Stuff - G4 & Netscape 6.1 & Blender
6. Web Site Focus - Outer Space
7. Better Bookweek Links
8. Great Sites
9.  Readers' Requests/Comments
10 Next Issue
11. Code of 'Netizens'
12. Tips
1. WELCOME EVERYONE. During the holidays my children
were bitten by the golfing bug.  It was fantastic fun, I seemed
to be regaling them constantly with a litany of instructions:-
be patient, be considerate, wait your turn, the usual list.  I found
myself thinking about the one word that covered the lot, applies to golf,
and a lot of other things as well - Graciousness.  Something that
has perhaps been lost or at least misplaced in this current-RUSH to
do as many things as possible in the shortest possible time,
world we live in.  Graciousness - even to say the word, forces you
to take it more slowly.  It is going to be my new word for term 3.
I love it - be gracious, covers everything really. And if the students
get really good at it - Why then it will be - Good Graciousness.
2. MIND CANDY
Dale Spender Computer Strategy
"The raw material of today's global community is intellectuality
and creativity, which is why everyone needs a computer, an ISP,
a national information infrastructure, and a support system.
The government who buys every member of society a computer
is sure to get a great deal, and an excellent customer service
agreement. Not to mention a head start in the global economy."
CREATE WEALTH; CONNECT THE COMMUNITY!
Time is elusive, lunchtime doubly so.
Douglas Adams - Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
It is not enough to learn what is already known.
In fact, these students have been made aware that to survive in
the new knowledge economy, they must know how to make knowledge
products. For in order to sell your knowledge - your Intellectual Property
- you need to come up with new ideas, solutions and know-how.
To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so.
Robert Orben
"We must welcome the future, remembering that soon it will be
the past, and we must respect the past, remembering trial once it
was all that was humanly possible."
Philosopher Santayana
Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window.
Steve Wozniak
I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them.
Isaac Asimov
Computers are magnificent tools for the realization of our dreams,
but no machine can replace the human spark of spirit, compassion,
love, and understanding.
Louis Gerstner
3. WWWinfo
Free online Translators
http://babelfish.altavista.com/
http://www.freetranslation.com/
http://www.translate-free.com/
4. NEW PRINTABLES - Treasure Hunt
Can you do it can you take on this challenge and complete the
questions in 1 hour, less than an hour, how web savvy are you?
Time yourself and see how swift you really are.
Join the Egyptian Treasure Hunt.  Answer the questions, work
in groups, practice typing in URLS or use them live from a word document.
http://www.virtualteacher.com.au/questions.doc

5. TECHNICAL STUFF
SAY HELLO TO JAGUAR
Mac OS 10.2
No OS is an island. Or, at least, shouldn't be.

As a result of our persistent adherence to industry standards,
Mac OS X v10.2 lets you share files easily with Windows and
UNIX colleagues; browse Windows file servers, right from the
Finder; and remotely connect to the corporate network via the
PPPT-based VPN client in Mac OS X v10.2. What's more,
thanks to Personal File Services in Mac OS X v10.2, Windows users can
connect to, and share files with, computers running Jaguar as easily
as they can with other computers running Windows.
Maybe even more easily. Check it out at:-
http://www.apple.com/macosx/jaguar/compatibility.html
Buying a new computer, Grays online is an interesting site with
loads of new/used computers
http://www.graysonline.com.au/
You can certainly get a deal here especially when there is quantity
for sale.
Cathy's Tips
1. Check new prices and place a bid in for one third to one half
the listed new price - if you you get lucky your a winner.
2. Some really cheap things can be picked up just before an
auction closes -if you have the time bid in the last 10mins of an
auction, and you could get even luckier.
3. WATCH Out for excessive delivery charges which will be added
on to your buy price(see number 1.) these are ususally listed.
4. Remember a buyer's premium is added to all auction prices, at
Grays this is 11%, so don't forget to factor.
Not really related to education, but quite interesting . 'free' Internet TV
http://www.gotrek.com.au/gotrek/index.shtml
GoTrek Internet TV Goes Live with 8 Content Channels 12-Jul
The New E-Mac from Mac looks wonderful.  I had a play with
one at the adobe seminars on Wednesday. They're just fantastic value.
17" screen
G4
700Mhz
40 gig hardrive
DVD/CD player CDRW as well
And amazingly only $2,300
If ever you wanted to upgrade - this is the computer to choose.
Check it out at http://www.apple.com/emac/
Great online instruction resources on using the internet from Sofweb
http://www.sofweb.vic.edu.au/internet/publish.htm#multimedia
Seminars and Conferences from The SchoolDaily
http://www.theschooldaily.com/index.asp
9th National Conference of the Australian Association for the
Education of the Gifted and Talented
http://www.edDiary.com/viewEvent.asp?eventPK=229