From: "editor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: October Newsletter
Date: Tue,  1 Oct 2002 04:06:01 -0400 (EDT)

ScienceMaster Newsletter
ScienceMaster
Learning Science Through Technology
Newsletter for October 2002

Visit us at
<http://www.sciencemaster.com>http://www.ScienceMaster.com

----------
WEB SITE NEWS AND COMMENTARY

The Days Are Growing Shorter
Autumn always gets me in a reflexive mood. Maybe it's because kids are back in
school, or because there's a hint of crispness in the air, (even here in
California). But I think it's mostly due to the fact that the days are growing
shorter. Our connectedness to the cycle of the seasons is deep within all of
us. We are attuned to such changes in ways we may not even be conscious of. It
may be because Halloween is coming; but perhaps more it's because we sense the
change of the seasons at a much deeper level.

science, but don't have alot lof time, ScienceIQ is for you. Get fascinating
and engaging science facts sent to your email daily, and have access to an
extensive archive of science facts online. Want to learn more? Follow the link.
But hurry. Time is running out.

----------
SCIENCE NEWS AND LINKS

Tonight's Sky
Going out stargazing tonight? Want to get a preview? Then visit Tonight's Sky,
a feature on the Earth & Sky Radio Series website. Earth & Sky is an award
winning daily science radio series heard by millions of listeners. While you
are there, check out a whole range of information on discoveries in earth
science, astronomy, environmental science.
<http://www.earthsky.com/Features/Skywatching/today.html>[more]

----------
What's On TV?
On October 2nd, NASA TV plans to broadcast the first live video from a space
shuttle's fuel tank as it soars into Earth orbit on the belly of Atlantis and
falls back again. Space shuttle Atlantis (STS-112) is slated to blast off from
Cape Canaveral on a mission to visit the International Space Station. For the
first time ever, a camera attached to the shuttle will record the ascent and
transmit images live to NASA TV. The point of view will be similar to the
launch scene in Apollo 13. The camera will be mounted near the top of the
shuttle's burnt-orange external fuel tank (ET). It will look down toward
Atlantis's nose, the 40 degree field of view encompassing most of the fuel
tank, one of the white solid rocket boosters (SRBs), and the shuttle itself.
<http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2002/26sept_goosebumps.htm>[ more]

Right: A Saturn V moon rocket lifts off pad 39A in Cape Canaveral on July 16,
1969.
Text and Image Courtesy of Science@ NASA http://science.nasa.gov/default.htm

----------
Blue Marble
Using a collection of satellite-based observations, scientists and visualizers
stitched together months of observations of the land surface, oceans, sea ice,
and clouds into a seamless, true-color mosaic of every square kilometer (.386
square mile) of our planet. These images are freely available to educators,
scientists, museums, and the public.

Preview images and links to full resolution versions - up to 21,600 pixels
across - are located on this new NASA site.
<http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/BlueMarble/>[link]

Text and Image Courtesy of Earth Observatory NASA
http://science.nasa.gov/default.htm

----------
Mathematics Models
This site offers a great example of how visualization can help students learn
math concepts. The material is a companion to 4th-8th grade curriculum used in
the webmaster's middle school math classroom. Each page on this site
accompanies a lesson from that curriculum. The Math Alive! curriculum (formerly
known as the Visual Mathematics curriculum) is a hands-on, concept-building
curriculum that stresses exploration and discussion. Teachers are free to use
or link to these materials.
<http://home.europa.com/~paulg/mathmodels/math_models.shtml>[link]

----------
More Incredible Images
Two of NASA's Great Observatories have produced their own action movie.
Multiple observations made over several months with the Chandra X-ray
Observatory and the Hubble Space Telescope captured the spectacle of matter and
antimatter propelled to nearly the speed of light by the Crab pulsar, a rapidly
rotating neutron star the size of Manhattan.
<http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2002/19sep_crabmovie.htm>[more]

Right: A composite (Hubble+Chandra) image of the inner regions of the Crab
Nebula.
Text and Image Courtesy of Science@ NASA http://science.nasa.gov/default.htm

----------
Earth From Space
One of NASA's most exciting and rewarding science enterprises is the
exploration of our own world, Earth. How does our Earth system work? How do the
oceans, land, and atmospheric processes affect each other? What role does
humanity play in the future of our environment? For better or worse, we are
part of the Terran ecosystem! Looking down from NASA's space platforms gives
NASA's Earth Science researches a perspective that allows analysis of global
issues. As fact replaces belief, knowledge will grow.

NASA has several websites that follow this theme. Here are a couple to get you
started:

Earth From Space --> <http://earth.jsc.nasa.gov/>http://earth.jsc.nasa.gov/
NASA's Earth Obervatory -->
<http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/>http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/
Above: Thermal Image of downtown Atlanta, Georgia/Text and Image Courtesy of
NASA

The ScienceMaster Newsletter is a free publication of ScienceMaster It is
opt-in only. We NEVER spam. If you are on this list, it is because you
subscribed at <http://www.sciencemaster.com>http://www.ScienceMaster.com or
have purchased or downloaded products or information from us in the past or
requested inclusion.

Feel free to duplicate this mailing in its entirety to forward to a friend!

All contents copyright © 2002 ScienceMaster.com and The KGM Group, Inc.