From: TeachersFirst Updates [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of David Shively
Sent:
Monday, October 14, 2002 7:12 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: TeachersFirst Update -
October 14, 2002

TeachersFirst Update – October 14, 2002

Biomes of the World
If your curriculum includes the earth’s basic climate regions, try using TeachersFirst’s Biomes of the World unit with your class. This unit can serve as a reference for the various biome types, or as a guided exploration of the climates, creatures, and cultures that inhabit each biome. There’s plenty for students to do either individually or in groups. You can find the Biomes at: http://www.teachersfirst.com/lessons/biomes/

Conference Tips for Parents
If your school hasn’t had parent teacher conference yet, it’s not too late to make use of our conference “tip sheet” for parents. Designed to save teachers time, this printable handout offers parents suggestions on collecting their thoughts so that limited conference times can be as productive as possible. The tip sheet is part of this month’s Parent Teacher Conferences article on our companion TeachersAndFamilies site. You can find it at: http://www.teachersandfamilies.com/open/parent/parent-tchr1.cfm

Peer Mediation
Resolving student conflicts can be a time-consuming challenge. Peer mediation is a supervised strategy that lets students resolve their own conflicts in a structured environment that can reduce the incidence of future problems. “He Started It” is our guide to peer mediation programs in school and classroom settings. Give it a try if you’re ready to give classroom discipline a new twist. You can find this guide at: http://www.teachersfirst.com/lessons/mediate/mediate1.html

Book Ideas
Reading is perhaps the most important skill we teach our students. Yet for many, finding books that will make them life-long readers can be a challenge. TeachersFirst offers reviews of hundreds of books for children and young people – all grouped by grade level and theme. This resource can be a real asset if you need help finding a title to keep the attention of that reluctant reader in your class. Pay us a visit, and you’ll see what we mean. The Reading Suggestions are at: http://www.teachersfirst.com/read-sel.html

Features
This week’s featured sites include a neat cooking science page, a butterfly site, an extensive look at the oral traditions of Native Americans, and lots more. The features are always in the same place: http://www.teachersfirst.com/feature.htm

That’s it for today. Many of you have a change of pace this week; we hope you enjoy it, and remember that you do make a difference.

David Shively
Senior Editor

IMPORTANT NOTE REGARDING E-MAIL ADDRESSES:

TeachersFirst’s mailing list has thousands of names. This makes manual list editing extremely difficult. We’ll continue to do it when necessary, but we’d much prefer you follow the automated instructions below:

TO SUBSCRIBE to this newsletter, please follow these instructions: Go to the page: http://www.teachersfirst.com/lsoftsignup.htm and complete the form there. You will receive a confirming e-mail for security purposes. When you respond to that message, your name will automatically be added to the list/\.