Igor:

        Hello! A clarification needed:

> On PC2 Kaboodle user checks "Use Kaboodle to control the startup Vnc
> server". This means following. PC2 Kaboodle create TCP socket in listen
> mode (with encryption) on port number "Connect to partner Kaboodle on
> port" and listen...
>
> On PC1 Kaboodle user open PropertyTab VNC setup for PC2 and click button
> "Connect". This means following. PC1 Kaboodle create TCP socket in
> viewer mode (with encryption) on port number "Connect to partner
> Kaboodle on port" and connect to PC2.
>
> After this TCP connection (with encryption) it is stated, then...
> - PC1 Kaboodle startup Vnc viewer for own IP address, create TCP socket
> between PC1 Kaboodle and PC1 Vnc viewer, redirects all data between this
> sockets.
> - PC2 Kaboodle startup WinVnc server, create TCP socket between PC2 Kaboodle
> and PC2 WinVnc server, redirects all data between this sockets.
> In that description I has missed some detail: packing/unpacking data,
> encrypt/decrypt data and etc.

        So is this correct:

PC1 VNC Viewer sends data to PC1 loopback (127.0.0.1) port 4000
PC1 Kaboodle listens to 127.0.0.1 port 4000
PC1 Kaboodle packs, encrypts and sends data to PC2 LAN address port 4000
PC2 Kaboodle listens to LAN address port 4000
PC2 Kaboodle unpacks, decrypts and sends data to PC2 loopback port 5900
PC2's VNC Server listens to loopback port 5900

        Correct?

> Now about your offers.
>
> WinVNC3 server registry key about.
> I don't know all details how WinVNC3 works.
> But if Kaboodle set registry settings AllowLoopback=1 and LoopbackOnly=1
> - successful VNC-sessions not will. It seems strange for me, but it is so.
> You can check it. Open file EF\ModifyRegWinVNC.cpp. There is function
> bool CModifyRegWinVNC::StoreAndSetWinVncKeyForKaboodle().
> It have line
> bool bRes = reg.WriteAllowLoopback(1) && reg.WriteLoopbackOnly(0);
> If we change it
> bool bRes = reg.WriteAllowLoopback(1) && reg.WriteLoopbackOnly(1)
> - successful VNC-sessions not will...
> May be I have old version of WinVnc and above is WinVnc bug?
> (My version is "WinVNC Version 3.3.3 R9").
> If it is so, please send me your version of VNC.

        I'll need to experiment on this and get back to you. According
to http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/winvnc.html, the LoopbackOnly
setting will override AllowLoopback.
        When Kaboodle on PC2 sends data to the VNC server on PC2,
does it use the LAN address or the loopback address? If LoopbackOnly
isn't working for you, I suspect it's using the LAN address in that
step.

> >the N LAN machines on port-5900. M of them will be successful. After that,
> >check N-M machines on port-5901. P of those will be successful. Then check
> >N-M-P on port 5902, etc etc. This way the number of threads will get
> smaller
> >each time, and VNC servers running on 5900 will be "discovered" before the
> >devices not running anything are done being scanned.
> > If someone uses the "Check Again" button in the PropertyTab of
> >a specific device, though, we can go back to the 100 simultaneous threads.
>
> This algorithm will reduce the number simultaneously executing flows,
> but will enlarge time of work when on many machines of LAN is absent WinVNC.
> Let's try.

        Good point. We could do it this way: fix the number of
simultaneously executing flows to, say, 100. If there are 10 machines
on the LAN to scan, we check the lowest 10 ports first (5900-5909)
on all of them. If there are only 5 machines, we check the lowest
20 ports. If there's just 1 machine to check, we do all 100 at the
same time. That might be the best balance between speed, heuristics,
and socket usage.

cheers,
Scott