24 July 2002 Status report
--------------------------

Scott:

> 1. When I cancel a file-transfer from the Sender side, I get
> a popup on the Receiver side about a socket error.
>2. When I cancel a file-transfer from the Receiver side, the
> Sender side Progress data stops updateing. If I then hit
> Cancel on the sender side, Kaboodle crashes.

I guess this is obsolete info because I updated the cvs some 10
Minutes ago. See below. Thank you.

>1. Have the threads been reworked? The transfer speed seems
> a bit faster.

I've done all I could to speed it up and I do not see any other ways.
Any thoughts?

>2. When I send the file thru the device icon, as opposed to
> thru the FT service icon, it doesn't ask me if I want to
> see any details of the transfer.

That is because device panel does not have the Status Tab. Would
you like to add that tab to the device panel or to open FT panel to
show the Status tab?

>3. When I cancel an ongoing transfer on the receiving PC, the
> status on the sender doesn't update. It just freezes. I
> have to push "cancel" there too to make it look right
> again. It works correctly if I cancel a file transfer from
> the sender, though -- both sides update correctly.

Fixed

>4. When I send a file using the FT service icon, when it
> finishes I get a popup that says "Error read file.</n>
> The operation completed successfully.</n> File transfer
> terminated. <OK>". I get the normal success message
> "Send Finished" only about once every 10 times. When this
> "Error Read File" message comes up on the sender, the
> receiver reports "Unrecognized Response" with an <OK>
> button.

I do not see this error now. May be fixed by the way.

>5. If I'm sending a really large file, the progress numbers
> "10447878 of 19729898" become too big for their allowed
> space, and it line wraps.

Fixed. I provided two lines for file size.

>6. Lastly, if the receiving Kaboodle application is in the
> service tray, it "saves" all of the popup messages from
> FT's done while it was closed. Also, the Status screen
> doesn't update while these popups are open. I think, in
> general, these FT popups on the receiver should go away
> on their own in 15 seconds.

Q1
I understand you want _all_ the popups to go away
in 15 seconds regardless whether the application is in tray.
That would be great as when Silent mode ("Don't Ask") is enabled,
the machine is supposed to be unattended and the messages will
get accumulated. Though, that is not that easy to ensure a timeout
as it implies replacing the simple message boxes by a special
dialog.

Q2
And more about auto updating status panel. As a matter of fact, I did
it on purpose: after a file has been transferred/canceled the bar remains
on screen until the user explicitly refreshes. And in fact there is no need
to auto refresh synchronously as I may remove the file bar on
completion. Note that currently I just disable the Cancel button and
change status to Finished of Terminated. Thus, if you decide to remove
the bar right as finished, there will be little sense having the status at
all
as it will only have two options: Awaiting and Transfer (Now it has 4
So, to summarize, my question is: what was your background when
suggesting synchronous auto refresh:
1. Emulation of asynchronous (event-driven) operation. If so, the
time-out should be minimal.
2. To give the user reasonable time to see the finished bars and then
refresh. If so, the time-out should be some 10 sec.

My suggestions for each case are:
1. Implement real asynchronous operation w/o status field.
2. Implement individual timeouts for each bar rather than common
refresh.

-Oleg