On Wednesday, June 11, 2003, at 06:01 AM, Helmer Krämer wrote:

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 13:02:16 +0200
"Kevin D. Kissell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Our of curiousity, I configured the MIPS/Linux interpretive kaffe
with --disable-debug, for speed, and ran the Embedded CaffeieneMark
benchmark. Comparing the result with an equivalent 1.0.7-based build,
we can see that a bunch of things have improved a little, some things
have stayed the same, and that something has slowed down dramatically
in string handling which more than cancells all the other improvements.

[ test results skipped ]

If you've got some time to waste, it'd be nice if you could compare the performance of 1.0.7's System.arraycopy() with the performance of 1.1.0's System.arraycopy() (nothing serious, just create a huge array and measure how long it takes to copy that array).

Before going through the hassle of rebuilding/re-installing to try your experiment, I thought I'd look at the code. Jeez. No wonder. In 1.0.7, System.arraycopy() was a native method, defined in libraries/clib/native/System.c, which used the platform's memmov/memcpy functions. Now it's a Java implementation. Certainly easier to maintain that way, but it's unsurprising if it's more than 5 times slower.

It's almost the same thing with jit3 on i386 here. With a pure java implementation of System.arraycopy() I get a String score of 1693, with a native implementation I get a String score of 2899. Given that System.arraycopy() is used all over the place, I'm currently tempted to revert the pure java implementation. Any thoughts?

optimize the jitter! :)

Greetings,
Helmer

tim