Hi, Chris,

Thanks for bringing this up. My feeling is that fixed-time release is
probably more suitable for a more stable project. At this moment, we are
still developing major features in Kafka. The time it takes to add the
compression support is going to be quite different from adding the
replication support. So, for now, I'd rather do a major release with a
complete new feature, than at a fixed time interval. I agree that the
interval between 2 major releases shouldn't be significantly different. For
replication, I expect that it can be done in about 3-4 months once we get
started (should be in a week or two). We can still release bug fix releases
to patch critical bugs along the way.

Jun

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 11:26 AM, Chris Burroughs <chris.burrou...@gmail.com