Hi, Chris,

Yes, the changes related to replication are significant. It's actually a
bit hard to keep what we have now as the degenerated case with R=1.
Currently, the partions are numbered locally within each broker. This is
problematic with replication since a partition can have multiple replicas
that physically exist on multiple brokers. So, in our replication design,
partitions will be numbered globally within the cluster. This implies
potential on disk layout changes (see kafka-47) and wire protocol changes.

You brought up a good question on migration path from 0.7 to 0.8. Since
replication changes are significant, it's going to be hard to make those
changes while keeping backward compatibility. My current feeling is that we
will make 0.8 a non-backward compatible release. To migrate to 0.8,
one possibility is to first create a new cluster of Kafka brokers using 0.8
(can potentially overlay on existing hardware). Then upgrade all producers
and point them to the new brokers. Drain all old consumers. Upgrade all
consumers and point them to the new brokers.

What do people feel about this?

Thanks,

Jun