Just wanted to add my $0.02 - I'm glad David wrote this - excellent job sir!

My comment is this (I think it might have already been mentioned, however I
will re-iterate it):  the document as is covers two audiences - those that
are writing Kafka "drivers" and those that are writing clients that publish
and consume to Kafka (using a "driver").  Most of the document is geared
for the former, however there are some bits that are meant for or are
useful also to the latter.

I would like to suggest that we split the document up and address each
audience separately.  As great as it is that David wrote a lot of great
information for the "driver" writers, the need for that will slowly
decline, as the drivers slowly become more available and more stable
(there's only so many languages in the world).

On the other hand, people will be writing their own "clients" using the
drivers far more often, so the latter audience will, assuming Kafka becomes
wildly successful, increase in need.  Beefing up this part of the document
- by focusing on that audience, will be incredibly useful to new adopters.

Incidentally, it might behoove us as a community to have strong language
that separates these two activities.  I used "driver" and "client" - I am
not necessarily advocating for these terms but rather just that there is a
need for terms that are distinct - it is important to separate the concepts
using language/syntax so that people do not get confused.