That's a good point. I did notice that while working on KAFKA-391. The idea
behind it must have been that both producer and fetch requests deal with
actual partition data. However, the hw and error code don't make sense on
the request side. I can include this change as part of KAFKA-391 if that
makes sense.

Joel