Hi Jim,

On Nov 12, 1:17 pm, Jim Burnes <jvbur...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Aha!  Break the mold!  :-)
>
> I'm playing with a bit of mold breaking myself.  One of the results of the
> way I wrote my Axon implementation was that you can pipeline full objects as
> well as basic data types / strings etc.  This is possible with Python, but I
> don't know if Axon/Python leverages it (probably -- it just falls out in the
> implementation).
>
> In any case, pipelining objects allows the receiving component to call the
> methods of the object received.  For example, if you're pipelining Car
> objects (say econo car, sports car, luxury car) into an emmissions station
> component, you could call the "tune" method of the car coming through the
> inspection station and it would optimize according to the current emmissions
> standards.  I guess this is a form of polymorphism and I don't know if it
> breaks the Axon encapsulation model or not.  Polymorphic pipelining? Sounds
> like fun, but we'll see.

Ah!  I think you have given me the insight I needed.  The problem
wasn't that I was passing objects around in Kamaelia and then acting
on those objects, it was that I was storing state in too many
different places.

I think what I can do is fully encapsulate the state in my objects
being passed around, so that in some many ways Kamaelia just becomes
the conveyor belt and button presser, but the buttons are on the
objects themselves.  It also decouples the objects from Kamaelia.  So
in testing for example, I can just hard-code the sequence of steps to
be done and check that the 'process' works, without using Kamaelia at
all.

I'll have a go and see how it all looks.  :-)

Cheers, Rasjid.