https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=526308

--- Comment #4 from Bákonyi Zsolt <[email protected]> ---
Thank you for the quick response and for linking this to the upstream
fontconfig issue (#565) and the Ubuntu bug (#2168420). 

To update the ticket with the requested application-specific details:

1. Environment & Hardware:
- OS: Kubuntu 26.04 LTS (pure Wayland session)
- Graphics: Intel Integrated Graphics (i915 driver, Panel Self Refresh active)
- Defective browser causing the trigger: Brave Browser / Google Chrome (Version
154+ with bundled fontconfig 2.18.3)

2. Root Cause Verification:
I can confirm that the crash occurs exactly as described in the fontconfig
upstream ticket. When Brave runs, its bundled fontconfig overwrites the host's
`.cache-9` files with symlinks pointing to `.cache-12`. This introduces
malformed fallback patterns for WOFF/WOFF2 web fonts (such as those provided by
fonts-katex on the system). 

The crash loops indefinitely in `FcCharSetHasChar()` right after login because
Qt 6.x fails to validate the return value of `FcPatternGetCharSet()`,
dereferencing an uninitialized/poisoned pointer (0xfefefefefefefefe).

3. Regarding the requested backtrace:
Unfortunately, I cannot provide a live GDB backtrace via Dr Konqi at this
moment, as the infinite loop of plasmashell and kscreenlocker rendered the
entire graphical session completely unusable. I was forced to perform a clean
reinstallation of the operating system (switching to standard Ubuntu with
GNOME) to restore my production environment.

However, since this is now heavily documented under Ubuntu Bug #2168420 with
matching core dumps, I am glad the Plasma team successfully isolated it to the
upstream fontconfig/Chromium interaction. 

I will change the status to RESOLVED (upstream) or leave it to the triagers, as
Chromium and fontconfig developers are already actively working on the patches
(Chromium CL 8462495). Thank you for your amazing support!

-- 
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.

Reply via email to