Am 2018-02-27 20:21, schrieb Boudewijn Rempt:
On Tuesday, 27 February 2018 20:15:40 CET Martin Flöser wrote:

As KWin has the same problem as Krita I can also answer. In the case of
KWin about 90 % of the incoming bug reports is not a bug, but either
duplicate, driver crash, useless crash reports from Arch users or user
support questions. I as the maintainer handle this. Just imagine in a
corporate world having the product owner or developer with largest
domain knowledge handle the first level user support. No company would
do that because it's a waste of time and money. We as a free software
community still practice this.

So where should users report bugs? Not anywhere where the developers
look for bugs.

Which is why I'm handling bugzilla, mostly, with Dmitry only looking at
bugzilla when I ask him too, and for the rest, just phabricator. I'm trying to shield my most productive developer from the interaction with useless reports.

Even so, he often comes to me with "some man on vk reported a bug...".

We need an efficient support portal which can handle the
90 % of requests which create the noise. If the users truly report a
bug, then it could be forwarded to the developers. With a corporate
style workflow going from first level support (taking the issue), to
second level support (figuring out whether it's a bug) and then to third
level support (developers).

The big problem is finding someone who can make the judgement calls. Bug
reports are often worded so weirdly that you do need the ten years of
experience to be able to guess what the reporter means, and in which category
of frequently reported misconception the report falls.

Yeah, that's what second level support is for. And it's totally fine for second level support asking the devs "hey I have hear an issue where I have a weird feeling, can you have a look?".

Cheers
Martin