Am 14.03.12, 22:03 +0100 schrieb Alexander Neundorf:
On Wednesday 14 March 2012, Thomas Zander wrote:
On Wednesday 14 March 2012 21.29.09 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
The wiki page somebody pointed to mentioned that colord is linux-only,
while  oyranos also works on Windows and OSX.

If we chose colord, how does our solution for Windows and OSX look like ?
Does kolormanager work under Windows and OSX ?

Matthias answered your question very well, and I agree with him.
Let me ask you a return question;  with the heavy dependency on X11 in
oyranos but with colord already starting work on wayland, how will we
support wayland soon?

That might be a missconception. Oyranos core itself does link against libc, libxml2, yajl, libdl and depending on the availability to elektra/ltdl. The X11 device support comes inside a module. So you can select on osX X11 or ColorSync depending on your needs. Same will work out for a separate Wayland module once a spec is available to implement that.

I know basically nothing about color management systems.
Don't some applications needs some kind of interface to use the color
management system ?
Or is it only for setting up X, the printer, Wayland, etc.

It can do both. Provide profile lookup, options for rendering and defaults and device setup.

In the first case, if applications (e.g. krita) need some way to work with the
color management system, wouldn't it be good if KDE provided one interface on
all platforms ?

Oyranos has platform abstraction for two Linux/BSD and osX. We would be glad to add win32 support in the not too distant future and provide a similar crossplatform support like e.g. ArgyllCMS.

Alex

kind regards
Kai-Uwe
--