On Saturday 18 February 2012 07:55:36 Vladimir Dergachev wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Feb 2012, Milian Wolff wrote:
> > On Saturday 18 February 2012 18:50:42 Janardhan Reddy wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >>     Are there any applications in kde which need multithreading support.
> >>
> >> would like to participate in gsoc and i am good at multithreading.
> >> Even though many programns are multithreaded they may be slow even though
> >> the work in done in separate thread different from gui thread.
> >> There is a library called threadweaver in kdelibs through which we can
> >> make
> >> use of multicore cpu and run the tasks parallely when so much work need
> >> to be done in a single thread.
> >> Are there any applications which need this kind of support.
> >
> > If you are "good at multithreading" I presume you might have knowledge of
> > reducing lock contention. If you have ideas how to do that for KDevelop
> > without rewriting most of the code, I'd welcome your insight. Yet for
> > KDevelop this is nothing in the scope of a GSOC imo.
>
> Hi Milian,
>
>    Could you explain how lock contention arises in KDevelop ? I thought
> that a GUI app would spend most of its time idle..

If an app is mostly idle, it doesn't need multithreading.

KDevelop does all it's language analysis in the background and has lots of
architectural problems resulting in far-from-optimal scaling with increased
number of cores due to lots of locks and lots of lock-contention. Anyhow,
you'd need to study the code and look at the contention yourself to get a
grasp of the situation.

Cheers
--
Milian Wolff