On Monday, 2014-04-21, 17:25:55, Nathan Bradshaw wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 5:02 PM, Lindsay Mathieson <
>
> lindsay.mathie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 04:44:33 PM Nathan Bradshaw wrote:
> > > yes it can. remove $home and it is turned off.
> >
> > And for a number of people it doesn't. And yes this is a bug, which no
> > doubt
> > will be fixed. But this is also why you give people options and overrides
> > -
> > bugs happen and its arrogant to assume they won't.
>
> why do you think a checkbox linked to the deactivation functionality would
> be different to it being triggered by removing $home?

It is probably a matter of user expectation regarding how certain interface
elements affect functionality.
A checkbox and similar elements are known for "on/off" things. An empty white
list might come close.
A blacklist with one item, on the other hand, requires to know that the
blacklisted item is the default whitelisted item.

I don't think the interface choice does necessarily imply a change in the
config itself, i.e. a checkbox could still manipulate the blacklist/whitelist
accordingly.

Things like that are often used elsewhere, e.g. a toggle of some kind being in
the user inetrface but the state being encoded as a special value for a field
that is enabled/disabled by the toggle control.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring