On Monday, 25 March 2024 23:23:01 CET, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
El dissabte, 23 de març de 2024, a les 21:06:46 (CET), Julius Künzel va escriure:
22.03.2024 17:22:33 Albert Astals Cid <aa...@kde.org>: ...

It is some extra work (not a lot, but some).

You're asking for the workflow of creating to be releases to be changed by creating the entry in the file earlier, that alone is a bit of work, but it has several other consequences:

* https://apps.kde.org/okular/ shows releases from the appstream file (i think) meaning that the code should learn to ignore releases in the future. Arguably we would need also now, but given the data is added just a few days before the actual release i think users can understand "this release will happen soon)" compared to a thing one month in the future

* What happens if we have to change the release date or release version number (hasn't happened in a good while, but wouldn't be a bad thing to prepare for it). We would need to update the string or date of an existing entry, as far as I know we don't have tooling for that (because we only add the data to the file when we're almost sure abiyt it).

In addition I'm a litte bit wary of conflicts when cherry-picking the appstream changes between branches, which the script does after incrementing the version. I saw at least conflicts in itinerary's releases notes and e.g. kdeconnect's or okular's windows releases in the past, which isn't that much of a problem but it could become one with the 245 modules of gear (to be fair not all have appstream metadata (yet)).

Otherwise I'd just miss the opportunity to trigger a CI build for everything again shortly before the release, but I'd guess that's easy to get over.

Regards,
Heiko