On 2013-06-21 19:30 (GMT+0200) Àlex Fiestas composed:

Felix Miata wrote:

...testing various software. None use more than one
display at once...

Underscore.

The question is, on systems that for whatever reason do have any of
/etc/X11/xorg.con*, is $SUBJECT necessary?

Yes

On single display systems and initial start, really? Most non-ancient systems do not have any /etc/X11/xorg.con*. Those that do are usually doing so for a reason.

If yes generally:

A-should it do so even on initial KDE (Plasma?) startup (aka empty ~/.kde/)
by any given user?

Yes, Xorg gets it wrong most of the times when having more than one screen.

This thread was intended to focus on single display configurations.

B-what should it do on any startup directly subsequent to a global X
configuration change?

We have to assume that all configuration in Xorg are wrong (when it comes to
things that reaches the user like Fonts, dpi and the like).

WRT Xorg automagic, I agree with the strategy. WRT global overrides that /etc/X11/xorg.con* contain, I don't agree. It seems to me it should only be applied via a KScreen non-default user config option to disregard /etc/X11/xorg.con* either entirely, or maybe though a submenu of specific categories.

Certainly your case is one of those that have not been taken into
consideration while developing KScreen, reason being that KScreen is focused
on those users that are not able to write their own Xorg.conf files.

What about users relying on proprietary NVidia drivers, which seem dependent on /etc/X11/xorg.con*? (I'm not among them. Maybe KScreen is a replacement for that dependence?)

Said that, we do want to cover all cases so let's see what we can do to
improve your situation.

:-)

One solution would be disable kscreen manually in those systems, after all it
is a manual configuration what is causing your problems. Will that work for
you?

Sounds like it. A new option in kdmrc? Something special in ~/.config/ or ~/.kde/?

For KSCreen 1.1, we are considering doing the following to improve the
situation in virtual machines that could apply in your case as well:

-On first boot if there is only one screen, do nothing since Xorg/Drivers
generally get this right.

This too sounds good, for appropriate definition of "first boot".

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/