Thank you for your thoughts on this. It's very interesting that you
are still on Plasma 4.
FWIW, I got really tired of "the eternal update dance" on Kubuntu.
Since switching to Arch in 2014, I have felt great relief from having
to deal with major version upgrades. When I wrote my prior message I
was (probably incorrectly) focused on the Plasma 5 to 6 upgrade as a
source of my pain, but in hindsight I think it is more fair to point
the finger at my hardware (nvidia GPU) plus the the transition from
X.org to wayland.