We should wait for Vincent to comment on this.  He's the maintainer of Kdenlive presently.

My opinion is that we should create a roadmap and initial documentation to assist new developer's as they come on-board.  Doing so will give your students an opportunity to become familiar w/ the architecture of Kdenlive before they start fixing bugs.

I have a fairly reasonable understanding of how Kdenlive works so I can help provide some direction for your group if you so choose.