This bug is missing log files that will aid in diagnosing the problem.
>From a terminal window please run:

apport-collect 1653162

and then change the status of the bug to 'Confirmed'.

If, due to the nature of the issue you have encountered, you are unable
to run this command, please add a comment stating that fact and change
the bug status to 'Confirmed'.

This change has been made by an automated script, maintained by the
Ubuntu Kernel Team.

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  System won't boot after upgrade to 16.04 with 4.4.0 kernel

  I have a Dell PowerEdge 1800 with Dell CERC 1.5/6ch RAID controller in
  it. Everything worked fine under Ubuntu 14.04.1. When I upgraded to
  16.04.1 the system won't boot. It can't find the root filesystem. I
  see errors about host adapter dead on the screen many times. This is
  with kernel 4.4.0-57 and with 4.8.0-32. When I switch back to kernel
  3.13.0-105 the system boots just fine.

  I have mptbios 5.06.04.
  The CERC card says bios version 4.1-0 [Build 7403]

  When booting into the ercovery kernel I'm getting error messages about host
adapter dead.
  Eventually I get a message:
  "aacraid: aac_fib_send: first asynchronous command timed out.
  Usually a result of a PCI interrupt routing problem
  update moher board BIOS or consider utilizing one of
  the SAFE mode kernel options (acpi, apic etc)"

  Using kernel parameter "intel_iommu=on" doesn't help. This was suggested on a
post that I saw about these errors.

  Booting with "noapic" didn't help.
  Booting with "noapic noacpi" didn't help.

  I've also tried the dkms modules from Adaptec and that doesn't seem to help
either.

  I can't figure out how to upgrade the firmware or BIOS on the system from
Ubuntu either.

  This may be related to this bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1552551?comments=all