Apparently the problem is related to power save issue and has been introduced
after installing tlp tlp-rdw packages.
I've removed those package and the issue is gone.

  Partial system freeze in ubuntu

  The hangs is firstly observed in my usb ethernet card suddenly.
  It appears when I unplug/re plug the usb ethernet card, then a lot of things
then get blocked, even reboot doesn't no longer work.
  I will have to reset the system in order to fix the problem.
  I never had the issue before, only recently.