I suspect this is entropy related, i.e. something in the entropy
handling changed which causes things that use random numbers during the
boot to slow down. The snapd team is also affected by this bug (snapd
startup during boot became slow but when people press keys, move mouse
things get better).

** Summary changed:

- Bionic minimal image boot hang with  linux-image-4.15.0-1012-kvm kernel
+ Boot delays with 4.15.0-24 based kernels

  Boot delays with 4.15.0-24 based kernels

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  We (Canonical CPC) are seeing an issue with today's build of the
  bionic minimal cloud images. Boot stops at "Starting Initial cloud-
  init job (metadata service crawler)..." for nearly 5 minutes (booting
  on scalingstack and locally with kvm) this is with a new kernel, but
  otherwise no changes over the prior image.

  Image (manifest and logs) exhibiting this behaviour @ https://private-
  fileshare.canonical.com/~philroche/bionic-minimal-20180703/

  With server teams's help we have narrowed it down to "Synchronized to
  time server 91.189.91.157:123 (ntp.ubuntu.com)." taking over 4
  minutes.

  On Kamal's instruction we also tried  linux-kvm 4.15.0-1013.13 and
  bionic GA linux (4.15.0-24.26). Both of which also exhibit this
  regression.

  For reference: Kamal noted on IRC that the problem was possibly
  introduced in the GA kernel and is not specific to the kvm kernel.