Sure it's a meta bug, but for me 12309 is still actual, and I don't use
any tuning for I/O subsystem at all.

Not as bad as years ago when it happens for the first time, but I still
have to throttle rtorrent to download at 2.5MB/sec maximum instead of
usual 10MB/s if I like to view films in mplayer at same time without
jitter/freeze/lag. And that's on powerful and modern enough system with
kernel 4.19.27, CPU i7-2600K @ 4.5GHz, RAM 24GB, and HDD 3TB Western
Digital Caviar Green WD30EZRX-00D. This is annoying, and I remember time
before 12309 when rtorrent without any throttling won't make mplayer to
freeze on less powerful hardware.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel
Packages, which is subscribed to linux in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/336652

Title:
  Poor system performance under I/O load

Status in Linux:
  Fix Released
Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete

Bug description:
  This bug seems to particularly affect the Dell Latitude D420, D430 and
  (from the kernel.org bug) at least the D830 laptop models; but others
  have been reported.

  Under I/O load, which need not be excessive - running usb-creator or
  even just checking one's email - the system performs remarkably
  poorly, far less than other laptop users see.  It can often take
  minutes to open a window, and sometimes the screen isn't repainted.
  Certainly most applications are "dimmed" by Compiz under I/O.

  It also appears to massively negatively affect boot performance, with
  one core spending its entire time in I/O wait - something we don't see
  elsewhere.

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/linux/+bug/336652/+subscriptions

-- 
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~kernel-packages
Post to     : [email protected]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~kernel-packages
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Reply via email to