As far as I understand, this is kind of meta-bug: there are multiple
causes and multiple fixes.

"I do bulk IO and it gets slow" sounds rather general, and problem that
can resurface anytime due to some new underlying issue. So the problem
cannot be really "closed for good" no matter how much technical progress
is made.

For me 12309 basically stopped happening unless I deliberately tune
"/proc/sys/vm/dirty_*" values to non-typical ranges and forgot to revert
them back. I see system controllably slowing down processes doing bulk
IO so the system in general stays reasonable. This behaviour is one of
outcomes of this bug.

I don't expect meaningful technical discussion to be happen in this
thread. It should just serve as a hub for linking to specific new
issues.

  Poor system performance under I/O load

Status in Linux:

  This bug seems to particularly affect the Dell Latitude D420, D430 and
  (from the kernel.org bug) at least the D830 laptop models; but others
  have been reported.

  Under I/O load, which need not be excessive - running usb-creator or
  even just checking one's email - the system performs remarkably
  poorly, far less than other laptop users see.  It can often take
  minutes to open a window, and sometimes the screen isn't repainted.
  Certainly most applications are "dimmed" by Compiz under I/O.

  It also appears to massively negatively affect boot performance, with
  one core spending its entire time in I/O wait - something we don't see
  elsewhere.