Public bug reported:

portion of bug report for bionic:

Newer 4.15 kernels contain the following fix for CVE-2018-1108:
  43838a23a05fb ("random: fix crng_ready() test")

This causes cloud-init to stall for a potentially long time during boot
(waiting for entropy I presume). Google reported boot delays of 75
minutes.

I've tracked this down to the following import in templater.py which causes the
delay:
    from jinja2 import Template as JTemplate

Which is called when cc_update_etc_hosts is imported.

NOTE: I'm experiencing this with focal repeatedly - just hangs forever!

ubunutu 20.04 server - live

  Cloud-init causes potentially huge boot delays with 4.15 kernels Edit