Lo! On 21.11.2016 19:46, Laura Abbott wrote:

> As a follow up to the previous discussion about kernel configuration
> in Fedora
> (https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/kernel@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/DBOBI6F3SLEAW2O5RLGZOOXQ5VKEWQIW/)
> I have a prototype of what a method of keeping each configuration
> file in a separate file would look like. This method takes care of
> several of my gripes of the current version (and found a few errors
> in the existing config files). The biggest question I have is if
> this will scale for how frequently Fedora adjusts configuration
> options. Some of that could possibly be solved with more scripting
> improvements.
>
> The repo is at https://pagure.io/fedora-kernel-labbott/branch/split_configs

I took a brief look. Overall I thought "if it makes maintaining the
configs easier, go ahead, I don't care much". There are just a few
things I noticed while looking at it:

* nitpicking: I found the filenames "generate_(all|debug)_configs.sh"
misleading, because those scripts do not generate a config, as they
afaics just put a pre-generated config in place so they are going to be
used.

* I really like that this finally gets rids of the noise in the config
file diffs that the frequent enabling/disabling using "make
(debug|release)" creates currently.

* Just thinking aloud: I wonder if the pre-generated *debug.configs are
a good idea. Wouldn't it be more obvious what is happening if we'd ship
one base config (e.g. where debugging is turned off) and then have
something in the spec file itself that builds slightly modified version
depending on what is needed in the current build? Having a mechanism
like this might be handy for other situations as well. For example we
could have something in the spec file that automatically disables
"CONFIG_ARM64_VA_BITS_48" and "CONFIG_ARM64_VA_BITS" when building for
"$fedora_release <= F25"; this way we'd make sure things like that do
not accidental make it into older releases during a rebase.

HTH, CU, knurd