On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 12:42 +0530, nidhi mittal wrote:
> Hi all
> its a very basic ques may be for many of you .but i have this
> confusion from long that is.
> when we say this application is 32 bit application or 64 bit what do
> we mean by that
>  is it processor which is 32 bit or 64 bit

Primarily it is that.

> or the OS which is is 32 bit or 64 bit

Secondarily that too. But x86_64/amd64/em64t/intel64 has x86
compatibility (and Sparc64 for Sparc perhaps too).
So can install and run a 64bit kernel and run the whole userspace
compiled for 64bit. Or you can run only 32bit apps/libs in userspace on
64bit kernel (because your apps do not need > 4GB address space but you
have 64GB RAM in your hardware).

> or what ?

Basically yes. But x86/64/AMD64/EM64T/... can run x86 32bit apps too (if
the necessary libs are installed).

> 2. Does it have some relation that in windows in C language int size

According to the C standard, sizeof(int) is the native register width.
And that is basically defined by the CPU. So if sizeof(int) == 2, you
probably have some 16bit microcontroller.
And at least for WinNT and XP, sizeof(int) == 4 on "normal PCs" BTW.

>  is 2 bytes in linux gcc it is 4 bytes
> i mean any relation of word size with it ??

Yup.

        Bernd
          Embedded Linux Development and Services