On 04/18/2016 05:20 PM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
[snip]
> Please don't dismiss this idea too quickly.  We've already discussed
> using freetype to allow us to use any font even in boards.  We also
> already have an indirect dependency on freetype via cairo so we wouldn't
> be adding much in that regard.  Until we decide to support plotting arcs
> in gerber files, this probably doesn't mean much but it's still
> something to keep in mind.  I looked at freetype a while back and it
> appears to do a good job of providing stroke outlines for all of the
> font types it supports.  This may be a less problematic solution than
> having to create our own stroke fonts and rendering them.  I don't want
> to repoen the font discussion but if there is a good library that solves
> our problem, I'm always willing to consider it rather than spending time
> designing our own solution.

That is fine with me, but it seems like a great candidate for a work
package. As you have already mentioned, there are more dependencies
before it might be implemented, and I assume it will take some time
before it happens. When all the necessary components are in place, I am
willing to upgrade font drawing routines. It is just my feeling that is
not the right time to focus so much on text drawing. I have coded bitmap
fonts as it seemed to me as a low hanging fruit, that supposedly could
improve pcbnew visually and reduce memory footprint at the same time.

Regards,
Orson