The summary of this thread to me is:

1) Everybody is in favour of uniform, consistent measurement units, mm that is.
2) Everybody sees a long term benefit.
3) Everybody agrees V5 is disruptive due to library changes.
4) There seems to be consensus that only few users will be bitten by the 3D
offset change.

Wayne disapproves the introduction of a version number. While I see the benefit
- data format is always crystal clear, it makes parsers more complex all the
time. From a maintenance pov I agree with Wayne, not introducing a version
number.

One solution introduces a semantic change, where the presence or absence of
keywords conveys information. While we remember the absence today, upcoming
maintainers will curse at us for this decision in only a few month time.

So my plea is: Because of 1 - 4 this is now the best time to introduce the 3D
offset change!
Else this will bite all up to V6!
Please go forward!

Jörg