Hmm?
You keep everything as is (especially creating threads), but just put the
“#pragma …” before the for-loop.
So, there is one thread for the progress and one for the workers.
In the workers thread OpenMP (if there) takes care of adding additional threads
for parallelising the loop?

Or, am I wrong with that?