On 19 Sep 2007 at 20:58, barkerben wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Can anyone answer the following basic questions from a beginner
> (previously used Eagle):
>
> When going from schematic to PCB I need to choose the package for each
> component. The filtering option appears to have o effect - I always
> see all 356 packages for each component. Is there a reason for this?
>
> Also, since the package is not tied directly to the device as in
> Eagle, how do I map device pins to package pins? Is it just done in
> numerical order?
>
> Final question... keeping the PCB and the schematic in sync...if I
> route a board, but then go back and alter the schematic, do I have to
> start my routing etc from scratch or is there a way to just update
> what has changed?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ben

  If you go to the library editor, you can specify a package for the part.
Then
when you place it in your schematic, the package will be tied to the part.
  If you change the schematic, save the netlist and re-run cvprt to update the
part and package references.  Then in the PCB program, read in the netlist
again.  That will update all of the connections.  You will not have to start
over
routing.   Any new parts you added will also have the packages added to the
PCB.  The only thing to watch is if you delete a part in the schematic, you
will
have to manually delete the part on the PCB.

Dave - WB6DHW
<http://wb6dhw.com>