Hi,

  That RS-274-X spec has more holes than Swiss Cheese.

  For example: If you start a Poly Fill and use a ARC I guess the ARC
becomes part of the the poly edge, correct?

  Doing so results in a polygon with circular voids. This is a huge area for
"Interpretation Errors" in gerber processors. Now add to the fact that these
polygons could be in clear or dark areas of a single layer and the multiple
layers COULD be combined. Good luck finding 2 gerber processors that render
this to the same film image.

  Chance are about 5% that you get a call from the PCB vendor. Chances are
95% that you get back a bad PCB. Worse yet the location for finding errors
in circular voids is in an internal plane. Shorts in a plane are like an
unforgivable sin, nothing can save you.

  After many years of doing PCB designs and the writing of a gerber reader
(MUCH more difficult than writing gerbers) my suggestion is Keep It Simple
(KISS Solution).

  The generation of gerbers and their resulting rendering to film must be
ABSOLUTLY PERFECT. We live and die by this level of perfection. To achieve
this level of perfection think of a gerber as a vector driven bitmap. No
Aperture Macros and no  Polygons need to apply. Even if 99% of the code in
the industry reads and processes PERFECTLY that 1% is a reason NOT to use
them.

  We need ROCK SOLID routines for flattening a higher level structure of
shapes. The output is a set of scan lines that paints the required image.

  I write in Delphi, I can easily generate .dlls, and the resulting scan
lines could convert directly to KISS generation of gerbers. I have a simple
gerber reader that is used to read from LOTS of different apps. It took
years learning what liberties every app programmer could take with gerber
generation. Lets NOT to the same thing in DRIVING film plotters.

  We live or die with gerber generation. If we even need to talk to a fab
house about gerber processing we are dead meat.

  I would love to see a solution got this gerber generation issue.

Thanks,

Bob Kondner

  _____