Being a Linux user I should have known the following!!!

 The problem was that the projects and sheets I was creating were in
the  c:/program files/kicad  path in Vista. Since I am logged on as a
user, I was not seeing nor updating the files.

Creating a c:/users/me/documents/kicad/  projects directory solved the
problem.

You don't often think of windows as having permission problems but
with the "more" secure windows OS's this needs to be considered.

The confusing thing is that kicad seems to ignore the problem and not
report it, so you think it is working when it is not. The files appear
in the Kicad browser but when you traverse to the directory they are
either not visible or visible with no size and you cannot view them.

In any event I think this has solved the problem.