Hi,

In the last months I have not worked with zones, but I did it in the past.

In pcbnew I used to do this:

Connect all signals to VDD and Ground as though no zone is to be created, but
having in mind the area where I will create it.
Only after all the circuit was routed, I created the zones.
All the extra tracks I used are now covered by the zone.

Regards,
Pedro.

> Yeah, that was my posting a month or so back.  I tried (or thought I tried)
everything that was suggested, but nothing has worked.

> I have not tried hand-routing all of the VSS-layer vias together and all the
VDD-layer vias together.  That seems to be a very error-prone proposition.

> Maybe I just don't understand the intent behind zones?  Maybe DRC is just
broken when it comes to zones?  I hope the problem lies with me and not DRC
as I need to get this board finished ASAP.

> thanks,
> Greg
>

> ________________________________

appologies for the resend.  This problem is becoming a major stumbling block
and is holding up a project I need to get moving.

> > I am seeing this very strange issue when using zones (at least it seems
strange to me).I have a 4-layer board with almost all surface mount.  L1 is
almost entirely dedicated as my "VDD layer" by creating a zone connected to
my VDD net on that layer.  L2 is the same thing with my VSS (Ground) layer.

> > When I want to connect a pad or trace to VDD or VSS, I simply place a via
in the trace.  According to the 3D view of the board, the hole plating is
connected to the VDD or VSS layer as I would expect.  The photoplots (Gerber)
files seem to indicate the connections are there as well.  I can export the
file and run the online router and it sees the connections.

> > The problem is when I run the DRC, it complains that the pads are not
connected and throws several errors.  With almost 500 connections to VSS or
VDD, hand-routing all of them to the inner layers would be extremely
cumbersome and error-prone.  Just ignoring all of the errors isn't a good
option either as I could easily miss legitimate problems.

> > I have tried doing a refill on all zones (which DRC is supposed to do
automatically) and no differences.
> > I have tried starting a trace from the component pad, switching to the L1
or L2 layer and continuing the trace.
> > Nothing seems to work.  It's as if DRC doesn't recognize connections to
inner layers on anything other than feed-through pads.

> > Does anyone have any ideas as to what I could be doing wrong?
> > Is this a bug in the DRC?  (I admit I don't know where or how to check for
bugs, so pointers to this information would be greatly appreciated as well.)

> > Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is now the critical point in
getting this board completed so I can start working on the firmware.  I have
attached a simple schematic and board to demonstrate the problem.

> > BTW, I am running what I think is the latest version from February of this
year on an Ubuntu 9.04 platform.  I will try the project later on my Windows
XP system to see if it is any different.

> > Thanks in advance,
> > Greg

> Please read the Kicad FAQ in the group files section before posting your
question.
> Please post your bug reports here. They will be picked up by the creator of
Kicad.
> Please visit http://www.kicadlib.org for details of how to contribute your
symbols/modules to the kicad library.
> For building Kicad from source and other development questions visit the
kicad-devel group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kicad-develYahoo! Groups
Links