I suspect that it's not a bug as such but that Kicad's understanding of when to
update the date isn't what you are expecting it to be. Or me, for that matter...

Regardless, what I do to supplement the date (which is probably intended to be
"date of this project" and not "date of this rev") is to include a revision
control system (RCS) identifier in one of the comment lines. That way, the $Id$
field is both automatically updated and shows up in the title block.

The pure ASCII file format that Kicad uses throughout is a big plus for me,
since it does let me use standard versioning software and I can, if necessary,