I find that the problem with 0 ohm R and such like is that they are a
fixed width, I also find it rather awkward to add them to a board, then
to the sch and so on. I also prefer to have a sch. to work with.

What I do for single sided boards is set the via size to the same as what I use
for
a normal through hole component Then I just route the board as normaly on
the copper side, and where needed I switch to the component side and run
tracks as if they were my jumper wires.

The component side copper print becomes my jumper layout (if it ever gets
that complex)

For small home projects this works very nicely for me.

Andy