From: NeonJohn <j...@neon-john.com>
To: kicad-users@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wed, April 28, 2010 12:38:45 AM
Subject: [kicad-users] Basic getting started question

Still working on getting started with PCBNEW.  Coming from an ExpressPCB
background.

I have my design finished and all the footprints associated with symbols
in the net list using Cvpcb.  I have imported the netlist into PCBNEW
and placed a few of the power components where they need to be.  I let
the program auto-place everything else which at least scattered things
out, though I'll have to re-do almost everything.

Here's my problem.  this is a 4 layer board with the inner planes being
defined as Vcc and Gnd (just like ExpressPCB does).  Thing is, I don't
know how to get there.  Do I have to draw the individual planes on the
layers?  Can I give the plane a net name like "Vcc"?  Will that cause
automatic connectivity to everything on the Vcc net?

One other question.  I need an interior cut-out on the board for the
winding of a transformer to protrude through.  How do I draw that?  THe
same way that I drew the board outline?  I've drawn it on the "board
outline" layer but I'm not sure how to tell if it "took".

Thanks
John
--
John DeArmond
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN

Please read the Kicad FAQ in the group files section before posting your
question.
Please post your bug reports here. They will be picked up by the creator of
Kicad.
Please visit http://www.kicadlib.org for details of how to contribute your
symbols/modules to the kicad library.
For building Kicad from source and other development questions visit the
kicad-devel group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kicad-develYahoo! Groups
Links