Tuesday February 15 1:47 PM ET

Second U.N. Aide in Iraq Resigns in Protest
By Hassan Hafidh

 BAGHDAD (Reuters) - A second senior U.N. humanitarian
 official in Iraq has resigned in protest at the failure of U.N. relief
 programs in Iraq, Western diplomatic sources in Baghdad said
 Tuesday.

 They said Jutta Burghardt, head of the World Food Program
 (WFP) in Iraq, handed in her resignation Monday. She followed
 Hans von Sponeck, the top U.N. official in Iraq, who said
 Monday he was quitting for the same reason.

 In Rome, a WFP spokesman confirmed that Burghardt had
 resigned but said she had taken the decision for personal reasons.

 ``It is a personal decision to leave and go back to work for the
 German government,'' Francis Mwanza, spokesman for the U.N.
 world food body, told Reuters.

 The WFP is linked to the oil-for-food program, which allows
 Iraq to sell oil to buy food, medicine and other humanitarian
 needs for the Iraqi people.

 The WFP also distributes food aid to nearly one million needy
 Iraqis affected by the tough U.N. sanctions imposed on the
 country for its 1990 invasion of Kuwait.

 Von Sponeck, whose resignation takes effect March 31, is in
 charge of the U.N. oil program, which is intended to ease the
 impact of the sanctions on the Iraqi people by ensuring supplies
 of essential goods.

 The sources said Burghardt resigned because she felt the U.N.
 humanitarian program in Iraq was a failure. She also opposed the
 latest Security Council resolution offering to ease U.N. sanctions
 against Iraq if Baghdad allowed disarmament monitors to return.

 Baghdad has rejected the resolution, saying it is time to lift the
 crippling economic sanctions imposed on the country in 1990 for
 its invasion of Kuwait.

 Both von Sponeck and Burghardt are Germans. Von Sponeck, a
 career U.N. official, has angered Britain and the United States by
 criticizing the sanctions and saying the humanitarian program has
 failed to meet the needs of Iraq's 22 million people.

 Von Sponeck Says He Resigned For Personal
 Reasons

 Von Sponeck said that he had resigned for personal reasons, not
 because of pressure from Washington and London.

 ``It is certainly not because of pressure. I primarily think I must
 leave now for personal reasons,'' von Sponeck told Reuters
 Tuesday.

 ``I hope that who ever replaces me would have a very short
 assignment here,'' he said, meaning that he hoped that the
 sanctions would be lifted and the program would be terminated.

 He said that he had resigned because he could not remain silent
 on the failings of the U.N. humanitarian program.

 ``I think time has come when I come out to say so and when I do
 that I must be able to face the consequences...that I must then
 accept to leave the position,'' he said.

 Von Sponeck told Qatar-based al-Jazeerah satellite television
 that other U.N. officials shared his views on the suffering of the
 Iraqi people.

 ``Well, everyone here in the U.N. is concerned over the
 inadequacy of the performance of the oil-for-food program ...
 That is not just my view,'' he said.

 ``So I'm not at all alone in my view that we have reached a point
 where it is no longer acceptable that we are keeping our mouths
 shut.

 ``Our support, my support, my commitment is for the Iraqi
 people as a group of deprived people whose tragedy should
 end.''

 Von Sponeck repeated earlier remarks that deprivation in Iraq
 was also partly due to ``a tightly controlled state with many
 limitations.''