----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2000 1:24 AM
Subject: [STOPNATO] Fwd: Brian Becker of IAC and other activists stand trial 7/18

STOP NATO: NO PASARAN! - HTTP://WWW.STOPNATO.COM

In a message dated 17/07/00 2:48:11 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< INTERNATIONAL ACTION CENTER

 For Immediate Release
 Attention: Assignment Editor
 Press contact: Sarah Sloan (212) 633-6646
 July 17, 2000

 VICTIMS OF POLICE PREVENTIVE DETENTION ACTION
 STAND TRIAL IN WASHINGTON D.C. -
 TUESDAY, JULY 18

 This Tuesday, July 18, victims of the mass arrest of 678 people on
 April 15 in Washington D.C. will stand trial.  The defendants include
 Brian Becker, Co-Director of the International Action Center,
 George Vavatsikos, a Greek American activist and others.

 The defendants face 90 days in jail and fines if convicted of
 disorderly conduct.

 They were arrested last April 15 at a demonstration held in
 conjunction with the week of protests against meetings of the
 International Monetary Fund and World Bank in Washington D.C.
 The April 15 protest demanded "Shut down the Prison-Industrial
 Complex" and "New Trial for Mumia Abu-Jamal."

 A class action law suit alleging a police-government conspiracy to
 deny the First Amendment rights of demonstrators will be filed in the
 coming weeks.

 "This trial is itself a brazen miscarriage of justice," said Brian Becker.
  "The police violated our constitutional rights to assemble and
 protest and exercise our First Amendment guarantee of free speech.
  All 678 arrested people were protesting against the Prison-
 Industrial Complex, racism and to demand a new trial for Mumia
 Abu-Jamal.  We broke no laws and yet we were illegally detained,
 handcuffed hand to foot and held for 24 to 36 hours in school
 buses, basements and remote ad-hoc detention centers in the
 Washington DC area," Becker asserted.  For a detailed description
 of events, see http://www.iacenter.org/rept415.htm.

 "The outcome of this trial is important and must be put into the
 context of a new, aggressive and we believe unconstitutional policing
 strategy directed at denying the constitutional rights of those
 engaged in protest," said Larry Holmes, a leader of the IAC and
 one of the 678 arrested on April 15.  "This is the post-Seattle
 backlash by the police.  They want to intimidate and prevent mass
 protests at the Republican Convention in Philadelphia and the
 Democratic Convention in Los Angeles.  These efforts by the state
 will fail.  Our movement against the death penalty, against racist
 police brutality and the Prison-Industrial Complex is getting
 stronger, not weaker.  We will fight in the memory of Shaka
 Sankofa (aka Gary Graham) and all those freedom fighters who
 have struggled against a system that breeds racism, repression and
 death."

 --30--

 International Action Center
 39 West 14th Street, Room 206
 New York, NY 10011
 email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 web: www.iacenter.org
 CHECK OUT THE NEW SITE www.mumia2000.org
 phone: 212 633-6646
 fax:   212 633-2889 >>

BEST PRICES ON THE NET AT IMANDI.COM

Cheapest prices on new cars, insurance, airfare, maids, custom pc's,
mortgages, moving and more! Tell us what you want. We locate it for
free -- across town & across the country.

http://www.bcentral.com/listbot/imandi