The Center for Voting and Democracy and many others have long been espousing
"Instant Runoff Voting" as a way to cure the problem of position-splitting
that seems to plague our elections with increasing frequency. A problem is
that many explanations of how it works tend to be hard to follow for most
people. Below is a way to explain it that is relatively easy to grasp and
remember; I've found that it works particularly well in front of groups:

Instant Runoff Voting: The 40-30-20-10 Example

In Instant Runoff Voting each voter ranks his or her preferences; that is, if
there are four candidates, instead of just voting for your favorite, you give
your favorite a "1", your next favorite a "2", etc. The computer takes it
from there.

Suppose there are 4 candidates for president (use familiar examples): Bush,
Gore, Nader, and you (I'll assume your name is Josie Smith), and that there
are 100 voters.

Suppose also that the 100 voters have each have ranked their choices 1 thru
4, and that the first choices on the 100 ballots break down as follows:

Bush has 40 (1st choice) votes
Gore has 30 (1st choice) votes
Nader has 20 (1st choice) votes
You (Josie Smith) have 10 (1st choice) votes

The computer then eliminates the candidate with the fewest first-choice votes
and redistributes those ballots to the next-highest-ranked candidate.

Since you (Josie Smith) had the fewest first-choice votes, you are first to
be eliminated. Let's assume that of  the ten ballots that had you ranked
number 1, five had Gore ranked second and five had Nader ranked second.

The computer retabulates the vote tally with 5 more for Gore and 5 more for
Nader.
Now the count is:

Bush still has 40 votes
Gore now has 35 votes
Nader now has 25 votes

Now the computer eliminates the bottom candidate again, which this time is
Nader, and redistributes those 25 ballots that have him now ranked highest,
to the candidate that is the next highest choice on each of those 25 ballots.

Let's assume that on the 25 ballots now belonging to Nader, the next highest
choice on 20 of them is Gore, and on 5 of them is Bush. Now a retabulation
shows:

Bush now has 45 votes
Gore now has 55 votes

Since Gore has a majority he is declared the winner.

Under both the Electoral College and the Popular Vote systems, the will of
the majority can be defeated because there are candidates with similar
positions running against each other, effectively splitting the support for
their positions and allowing a candidate with a minority of support to win.
Unscrupulous politicians and their backers undoubtedly favor systems with
such flaws, but even without evil intent, these systems both are capable of
giving us disastrously undemocratic results. Why must we settle for the
lesser of evils?

Jefferson had faith in an educated electorate. How about a process that gives
the result that is most consistent with their will?

Best wishes,
Ralph Cole, videographer
JusticeVision
www.JusticeVision.org
www.freevideos.org

PS: When using the 40-30-20-10 example of Instant Runoff Voting for
republicans, you might want to use Clinton-Bush-Perot-[the listener's name]
in the example. Recall that in 1992 that Clinton won without a majority,
possibly because of Perot's presence in the race. If you live in L.A., you
may also want to discuss IRV in the context of Mayor Riordan's first
election, where Republican Riordan won in a 67% Democratic city because there
were up to 20 Democrats on the ballot, and even though there was a runoff,
the support for the Democratic frontrunner (Mike Woo) was too geographically
concentrated for him to win the runoff.

There are undoubtedly many other examples you can come up with. I recommend
that you remember the numbers I have used because it is easy to mess up the
example when you pull numbers out of the air.

Below is an Op-Ed piece on the subject that was forwarded to me by Steve Hill
of the San Francisco office of the Center for Voting and Democracy, who
introduced me to IRV a number of years ago. The CVD provides speakers and
advice on IRV, Proportional Representation, and a wide variety of other
voting topics and issues. -RC

Subj:    commentary:  "Let's Scrap the Electoral College"