From: "LPDC" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 21:54:31 -0600
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: URGENT ALERT

URGENT ALERT:

PRISON AUTHORITIES CRACKING DOWN ON PELTIER
AND ALL FEDERAL PRISONERS

Leavenworth Federal Penitentiary is banning the media from interviewing
Leonard Peltier.  In the last week all pending interview requests from
established media networks and reporters were denied.  Prison authorities
say they are facilitating too many press visits and their staff is unable to
handle the volume.  However, Peltier has not done an interview for several
months.

Secondly, Leonard Peltier and other prisoners received memos this week from
the Federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP) stating that federal prisoners' phone
calls will be restricted to 300 minutes a month, averaging to about 10
minutes a day.  Already, prisoners can only call a limited amount of people
who are registered on a pre-approved list.  Calls cannot exceed 15 minutes,
more than one call cannot be made in a half hour duration, and calls can
only be made during certain segments of the day.  Of course, the cost
prisoners pay for the calls is exorbitant.  Both phone call and visitation
privileges have been gradually eroded over the past few years, and will
likely diminish completely if the public does not fight back.

We at the Leonard Peltier Defense Committee find these two developments to
be an alarming sign that prison authorities plan to cut prisoners off from
communications with the public.  This dangerous trend will make prison staff
even less accountable for prisoner abuse.  Moreover, it will have a
devastating affect on the families of prisoners and on the defense networks
of political prisoners, whose voices will be largely stifled.

YOUR HELP IS NEEDED!

Write, fax and flood the phone lines of Kathleen Hawk Sawyer, BOP Director
320 First St. NW
Washington DC 20534
202-307-3198
Fax 202-514-6878
(sample letter below)

Write, fax, and phone your senators and representatives
To find out who your senators and reps are and how to contact them, call the
U.S. Capitol switchboard: 202-224-3121
Or visit these web sites:  www.house.gov/  www.senate.gov/
(sample letter below)

SAMPLE LETTER FOR BOP:

Dear Ms. Hawk Sawyer,

I am writing to oppose the upcoming implementation of new phone restrictions
for federal prisoners, which limits their phone access to 300 minutes per
month.  Imprisonment is a harsh enough penalty for those convicted of
crimes.  Restricting contact with family and friends is simply cruel
punishment and will greatly hinder rehabilitation.

Legislation that has established longer prison sentences, the abolishment of
federal parole, and the restriction of avenues for redress in the courts,
has had devastating affects on millions of family members of the convicted.
The existing phone and visitation privileges at least allow prisoners
minimal participation in family affairs, as well as a healthy connection to
the outside world. Furthermore, the emotional stress the phone restriction
is bound to have on prisoners will surely interfere with the orderly
conducting of daily prison affairs. Therefore, I strongly urge you not to
implement what will be a devastating change.

Furthermore, I have been made aware that prison officials at USP Leavenworth
are denying access to all journalists and media networks who wish to
interview federal prisoner Leonard Peltier, the Native American activist
deemed a political prisoner by Amnesty International.  The media has been in
to interview Mr. Peltier in the past, and I am fully aware that such visits
can be done in accordance with security concerns.  A ban on media entering
any BOP institution makes me wonder what the institutions might have to
hide.

Both of these developments are quite disturbing and signal to the public the
BOP's desire to suppress the realities inside federal prisons.  I can see no
justification for such changes and I respectfully request that both of these
matters be addressed accordingly.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,

SAMPLE LETTER FOR CONGRESS:

Dear _____________,

I am writing to oppose the BOP's plans to implement new phone restrictions
for federal prisoners, which will limit their phone access to 300 minutes
per month.  Imprisonment is a harsh enough penalty for those convicted of
crimes.  Restricting contact with family and friends is simply cruel
punishment and will greatly hinder rehabilitation.

Legislation that has established longer prison sentences, the abolishment of
federal parole, and the restriction of avenues for redress in the courts,
has had devastating affects on millions of family members of the convicted.
The existing phone and visitation privileges at least allow prisoners
minimal participation in family affairs, as well as a healthy connection to
the outside world. Furthermore, the emotional stress the phone restriction
is bound to have on prisoners will surely interfere with the orderly
conducting of daily prison affairs. Therefore, I strongly urge you to
discourage the BOP from implementing what will be a devastating change.

Furthermore, I have been made aware that prison officials at USP Leavenworth
are denying access to all journalists and media networks who wish to
interview federal prisoner Leonard Peltier, the Native American activist
deemed a political prisoner by Amnesty International.  The media has been in
to interview Mr. Peltier in the past, and I am fully aware that such visits
can be done in accordance with security concerns.  A ban on media entering
any BOP institution makes me wonder what the institutions might have to
hide.  Please urge the BOP to lift this ban.

Both of these developments are quite disturbing and signal to the public the
BOP's desire to suppress the realities inside federal prisons.  I can see no
justification for such changes and I respectfully request that these matters
be addressed accordingly.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,

Leonard Peltier Defense Committee
PO Box 583
Lawrence, KS 66044
785-842-5774
www.freepeltier.org
To subscribe, send a blank message to  < [EMAIL PROTECTED] >
To unsubscribe, send a blank message to < [EMAIL PROTECTED] >
To change your email address, send a message to < [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> with your old address in the Subject line

KOMINFORM
P.O. Box 66
00841 Helsinki
Phone +358-40-7177941